Today, 26 June, is the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
With 15% of South Africans in the grip of drug addiction, the South African government and its partners are implementing the National Drug Master Plan, 2013-2017, which is a collective effort towards a South Africa that is free of drug abuse.
What you can do:
- Community support is extremely important to prevent, treat, rehabilitate and accept those addicted to substances. Help break the stigma and promote faster recovery.
- Be a good role model and empower young people to deal with life challenges to buffer substance abuse.
- Be a messenger - provide factual information on the negative socio-economic effects of substance abuse to bring about behavioural changes.
- The carnage on South Africa’s roads can be reduced drastically if adults drink responsibly.
- Celebrate festivities soberly and responsibly: Don’t turn a night out into a nightmare.
- Partner with government volunteer and support rehabilitation programmes to increase access to information for affected individuals and communities.
Click for more info, resources and facts on drug abuse.