If you're still smoking or know someone who does and is desperate to give up, cutting down on the number of cigarettes they smoke a day could help them.
- Analyse your habits, e.g. eating, drinking alcohol, spending time in smoky environments or with other smokers – work on changing any behaviours that are conducive to smoking.
- Decide in advance how many cigarettes you'll smoke the following day, and remove the rest from the pack.
- Put off lighting your first cigarette of the day a little later each day.
- Don’t smoke cigarettes down to the butt – smoke them only half or three-quarters.
- Finish one pack before you buy another.
- Don’t buy cigarettes in bulk.
Find out other ways to stop smoking