Chances are someone you know has already come down with a cold or the flu and you are dreading getting sick yourself.
Here are 5 proven ways to avoid being infected when those around you are sick:
1. Wash your hands - the number one thing you can do to protect yourself from a cold or flu is to wash your hands thoroughly and frequently.
2. Moisturise your air - turns out, very humid air might be toxic to flu viruses.
3. Skip that second (and third) drink - alcohol can impair your white blood cells’ ability to combat viruses for up to 24 hours after you overindulge.
4. Get more sleep - people who get fewer than seven hours of shut-eye a night triple their risk of developing a cold compared with those who doze for eight or more hours.
5. Taste the rainbow - immune-boosting antioxidants in brightly coloured fruit and veggies battle the free radicals that dampen your natural defences.
Read up on how and why these simple tricks protect you against cold and flu viruses.