has shared on social media how she fell ill when a tattoo she got over a year
ago became infected, resulting in her suffering a miscarriage and becoming
partially paralysed, Metro
Fernando (16) was told by doctors that she would never walk again after the
tattoo, which she’d had done on her breast, became infected and the infection
eventually spread to her spinal cord.
doctors tried draining some of the fluid caused by the infection to minimise
damage, she developed issues with her appendix, Mirror
“As I had
to take a lot of medicine [to combat the infection], I had a miscarriage and
lost the son I was carrying,” she said on social media.
Luisa – who
got the tattoo before she became pregnant – also needed treatment for the
severe depression she suffered after the miscarriage, Kidspot
writes. Then came the added blow of being told she was paralysed.
hard when I was told by the surgeons that I would not able to walk again.
“And it was
hard when I left hospital because I needed help to get in and out of my
wheelchair – and my mum is not strong enough.”
16-year-old is now using social media to warn others of the dangers of tattoos.
“A year ago
I had a tattoo done and it caused the bacteria that affected the spinal cord
and stopped me from walking again,” she wrote.
have also informed that she needs more treatment and another operation to get
some of her mobility back but it comes with a huge price tag. Her friends and
family are now trying to raise the £3 600 (more than R66 500)