After giving blood, you need to let your body recover.
The American Red Cross offers the following suggestions:
- Drink extra fluids, but don't drink alcohol for 24 hours after the donation.
- You can remove the bandage from your arm within a few hours of the donation.
- Use soap and water to gently clean the area around the injection site.
- If the site starts to bleed, apply pressure and hold your arm straight up for 10 minutes, or until bleeding subsides.
- The remainder of donation day, avoid heavy exercise or lifting heavy objects. Don't do anything that makes you feel light-headed or dizzy.
The health benefits of donating blood
The donation process
Blood donation: what users say
Image: Blood donor at donation from Shutterstock
See breaking news and the hottest health tips before anybody else by joining South Africa’s biggest and best health community, like health24 on Facebook now!