Metaphysical healer and counsellor Dina Cramer says meditation has been shown to decrease stress (the number-one cause of illness), enhance creativity, increase vitality and facilitate self-healing. Negative emotions, thoughts and events are stored in the cells of the physical body and in the energy body.
"Meditation creates a space where the body can let go of these toxins in order to facilitate healing," Cramer says. "This healing can occur on many different levels: physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. Meditation leaves one with a sense of lightness, vitality and well-being. A feeling of bliss."
Meditation is not only good for your mental health, but it has many physiological benefits:
Creating a conscious reality
- Generalised reduction in many physiological and biochemical markers, for example, decreased respiratory and heart rates and a decreased pulse
- Increases EEG (electroencephalogram) alpha, a brain wave linked to relaxation
- Reduces thickening of coronary arteries, thereby lowering the risk of heart attack and stroke
- Restores the body's own self-repair mechanisms, namely the homeostatic balancing
- Lowers oxygen consumption
- Increases blood flow
- Decreases blood pressure
- Decreases muscle tension
- Increases serotonin (the "feel-good" hormone) levels
- Helps chronic diseases like asthma and arthritis
- Reduces PMS
"I'm sure you have heard the phrase: 'you create your reality'. While this is true, it is often very difficult for us to see and accept that what we are experiencing is of our own creation," Cramer says. "What we need to realise is that the outer world is a reflection of our inner world. However, we seem to think the opposite. So when things start to go wrong in our lives, we immediately try to control and dominate the outer world. This, however, is doomed to fail and robs us of energy."
"Meditation helps us to create a more conscious reality," continues Cramer. "By quieting the mind and going deep within, we are able to see what it is deep within ourselves that is being reflected in our outer world. It is in this state that we are able to see the symbolic messages that life is presenting to us. It is in this state that we are able to quieten our minds and let our souls guide us towards our highest good."
- (Ingrid Bosch, Health24, updated July 2008)
[For more information on meditation, contact Dina Cramer on (011) 465 4737 or e-mail her: email@example.com]