Posted by: Ash | 2007/04/26



A few years ago my son had orthodontic treatment to repair his bite as the upper jaw bite did not overlap the lower jaw bite.
Treatment ended 3 years later at the age of 14. He is now 19 years and we visited the Orthodonist for a "check up' It was found that the bite is not as it should be. His upper set of teeth sits directly on the lower set. The upper does not overlap the lower. He suggested surgery to rectify the problem. I cannot explain exactly what the surgery would involve but it would involve dislocating the gum etc to bring about the upper overlap. He also said that my son does ot have a pronounced cheek bone due to this. I am not keen on this and would appreciate your suggestion on other options.
Ashni sewlall

Expert's Reply


Oral health expert

Sorry Ash but it is very difficult to advise you in this case without having seen your son. The surgery will also need to be discussed with a maxillofacial specialist. It may be wise to consult with a surgeon first for his advice on the procedure.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.