Posted by: caps | 2004/10/11



On consulting with the dentist for filling to be redone, he advised that I needed a cap, and 3 others, as my fillings were loose and could not be replaced. Not knowing better I went ahead with his suggestion. One cap had to be redone(at his own cost), as the colour was totally wrong. He first denied that he did the cap. Now I have developed a toothache on one of the teeth that he caped.
When I told him about the toothache, he told me the root canal done is impacting on my sinus, and causing a problem. This was never a problem previously(root canal has been done years ago) What other recourse do I have, as I dont wish to consult with him again. I am also on a cash basis, as my MSA has been used.

Expert's Reply


Oral health expert


The root canal was done many years ago? In some cases, it is possible that the tooth can become inflamed after a long time and the root canal may have to be redone. Have you been having problems with the sinuses before?
The roots of some teeth lie in close proximity to the lining of the maxillary sinus. Sometimes, an infection of the sinus could feel like a toothache too. Be 100% sure that the tooth is problematic and that the pain is not referred from the sinus.
Consult another dentist for a second opinion.
Good luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Caps | 2004/10/12

I have'nt had this problem prior to having the caps done.
Unfortunately I do not have the funds to go to another dentist, as I had to pay around R7800 cash for the caps.
This tooth has now now been capped by the dentist, and since then, I have been having the toothache. It seems to me that his handiwork has caused some further damage.
Who would I lodge a complaint and medical association???

Reply to Caps

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.