Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Kaaj | 2009/07/16


Worried about development

Hi doc
I am extremely worried about my sons developement. He is 15 months old. Does not say any words and even rarely uses dadda or nana. If I teach him to count, he will say two but then wont repeat it again or he will say blue when I try to teach him colours but wont repeat it again. he basically only makes baby sounds. he does clap his hands and waves goodbye
The other thing that I am worried about is that he is not walking yet. he will standing up. Might take a step and loses his centre of balance very quickly.
At creche is also seems to bump his head very often. More like every day and sometimes twice a day.
He is also underweight but has always been underweight. He is approximately 8kg.
He is also being raised vegetarian with the exception of baby omega that I give him daily. He does get vegetable protein daily
He is also on deselex, sinulair, and both the purple and blue asthma pumps.
Now here are my questions:
1. What can I do for his mental development
2. What can I do for his physical development
3. What can I do about him bumping his head.
4. Can his medication slow down his development or prevent him from finding his centre of gravity
5. What can I do about building up his weight? do you think meat would help him or not really?
If you do suggest I take him to see someone, would you also please suggest someone who is in and around the midrand, sunninghill or sandton area.
Your advice would be appreciated

Expert's Reply



The average weight of a baby boy of 15 months is 10.25 kg, so you can see that your son's weight is well below the average.In fact his weight is almost below the lowest line on the infant growth chart scale. This combined with the developmental issues you raise, make it important that you see a paediatrician.I am not familiar with the suburbs in Joburg, but try and see either Dr Martin Davies or Dr Mervyn Ossip who should be relatively near to where you live

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.