Posted by: ADD | 2007/08/06


Where can I get medication

My son is 13 years old and was told he had ADD by his doctor when he was seven years old, he was put on Ritalin and things were going well, I did not have medical aid so I had to take him off it. He is now three years behind and has to go to high school next year. I would like to know if Ritalin can be prescribed by a GP or do I have to take him to someone who specializes in the field (verry Expensive as I must pay cash).

Expert's Reply



I am sure that your GP can prescribe the Ritalin for you [there is now a generic available,Ritaphen, which is cheaper] You will need to show your doctor a copy of the previous prescription or a report which recommends that your son be treated on Ritalin for ADD.Your doctor will know that this is a schedule 6 medicine and the prescripton has to be written out in a special way.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.