Posted by: Sharon | 2012/12/12


When is it serious?

Hi Professor,

My son is 3 years old and struggles with Upper Respiratory Infections. He goes to creche. He had his tonsils and adenoids removed when he was 2 and had grommets put in. He gets really bad, wet coughs, for about 10 days of each month. He coughs so much that he vomits.

I am giving him 5mls of Biosolvin three times a day and use the nebuliser twice a day with Saline Solution in it.

He had a temperature of 38.3 on Sunday and I gave him 5mls of Neurofen. His fever went down. I want to know when is it serious enough to take him to the doctor? I feel at the moment that the mucous is coming out and not going into his chest, but how can I be sure? He is eating smaller portions than before, but at regular intervals, so the food is going down, with the occassional vomit, with only a mouthful coming out. He is also drinking well and has had no fever since Sunday.

Thank you for your time.

Expert's Reply



I think that you have made your own diagnosis with your son. As he attends a creche there will always be one or other of the children there who has a cough or cold. The infections readily spread from one child to another especially with those infections caused by the RS virus. Your son will usually start off with a cold and then his chest becomes infected. When he has a cold he will usually have a problem with a post nasal drip causing lots of mucous to run down the back of his nose,be swallowed and landing up in his stomach. This will cause him to vomit at times. You need to boost his immunity with Creche Guard or Scotts Emulsion plus a probiotic in addition such as Probiflora Children's once daily.Keep his nose clear by using Salex nose drops twice daily every day.For now also continue with the Bisolvon and using the nebuliser as you are doing.
He seems to be getting by himself now so it does not appear to be necessary to take him to the doctor.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.