Posted by: Julie | 2009/01/27


Voiding cystourethrogram test 11mth baby

Please help. My baby girl is 11 months old (Born 22 Feb 2008). She has just had her second UTI (bladder infection). She got her first one around Oct/November last year. My GP diagnosed it and sent me to see a Urinary Specialist. He sent me to have her kidneys scanned which came back all clear he then said he would like to do the Voiding cystourethrogram test which I said I was very hesitant to do as he explained it to me it sounds very invasive and a very unpleasant experience for her (namely how will they keep her calm and make a baby keep still all that time?). Anyway I said I would rather wait to see if she gets another one before I go ahead with the test (just before she got the first one I was using a lot of bubble bath). Now she has gotten another one and both my GP and now the specialist have advised me to have this test done. I' m just so hesitant, just before she now got this second one I was putting baby oil in her bath. I really feel like I need another opinion on this matter from the side of a paediatrician' s view. I just know this test will really upset her ontop of the fact it will be very uncomfortable. From what I understand the most they will do from the outcome of the results is put her on a low dosage antibiotic and wait to see if she grows out of it. My gut is telling me not to do it (but this would be going against my GP' s advice and the uronolgy specialist), rather never put anything in her bath, increase cranberry juice into her diet and see if she gets another one? I did ask my GP why if it is urinary reflux hasn' t she had more infections and he said she could have and when she has had one of her 3 ear infections (which she has had since August last year) that could have just cleared it up without us knowing it. - Please give me your advice!!

Expert's Reply



I presume by scan that you meen she had an ultrasound investigation of her urinary system and this was normal. It would be best to postpone the MCUG and see if the removal of bath oils and bubble baths will have the desired effect. Put her on a probiotic such as Reuteri drops daily for at least 1 month to boost her immunity. If she develops another urinary infection then she will need the MCUG.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Julie | 2009/01/28

Thank you so much for your responce. Yes I did mean an ultrasound on her kidneys and all was clear. I will do exactly as you say as its pretty much what my instinct is saying. Again I would just like to say thank you!

Reply to Julie

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.