Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Poolnymph | 2008/12/02



Dear Doc,

My daughter was diagnosed with tonsilitis last night (we had to rush her to hospital last night with a very severe fever that we couldn' t break and vomiting of foamy mucous). She had it earlier this year in about August / September, but this time it is significantly worse and didn' t present itself in the same way as the previous time.

The doctor last night said that before they remove them they see if there is a re-occuring pattern. My daughter turned 3 now in November, so is it necessary to wait for repeated bouts of tonsilitis that will probably be more severe and difficult to clear up each time, or should I take her to the ENT Specialist once she' s recovered and just get it over and done with. She has spent the last few months snoring, which makes me think her adenoids may be an issue too. Both my brother and I used to get horribly sick from tonsils when we were young and had to have ours out at 3 - my adenoids were also removed then as well. I don' t want her to get repeatedly sick all the time if it' s not necessary.
To top it off I' m due to have our second baby in early Feb, so I' m concerned that if she' s having repeated infections she may infect baby too?

Your assistance would be appreciated.

Expert's Reply



Your daughter is certainly a candidate to have both her adenoids and tonsils removed. She should be seen by an ENT surgeon soon.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Poolnymph | 2008/12/02

Dear Doc and CV,

Many Thanks for your responses, it is appreciated. I have spokent to the ENT this afternoon and he will be seeing my dughter on Thursday.

Thanks Again!

Reply to Poolnymph
Posted by: CV | 2008/12/02


My little boy age 4 had his done in Oct , after we also rushed him to hospital ( they thought it was menengitis) Anyway he recovered within a week, al ittle snoring for a week or 2 and NOW WE ARE NOT LOOKING BAKC>  It s the best thing we could have done....

Good Luck

Reply to CV

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.