Posted by: Comien | 2007/08/26


Todler problems

I would just like to know if anyone can give me advice. We have adopted two children; 5 and 2 years old. With the eldest I was working fulltime, but made time for lots of quality time with him. He was a slow to start talking and still does not talk up to date (as I think he should) but I am not too worried, because I can see daily how he improve. With the youngest I haven't been working, so I had much more time with her. She is also slow in speech development. I sometimes think that she is just too lazy to talk because she is EXTREMELY BUSY. I think she just does not have the time or patience to concentrate to talk. I do not accept pointing at things she want. It is very frustrating to her and me, because sometimes she just refuse to talk and just through a tantrum. But what worries me the most is her "being so EXTREMELY BUSY". I know they are busy at this age, but believe me she is the ultimate. She never, ever stops fidling, scratching in things, unpacking, climbing up things, etc. Sometimes I think that she might be very intelligent, because she is quiete clever, but then I desperatly need advise on how to handle. On the other hand I suddenly started worrying that her mom might have taken drugs and that this might be the effect. Somebody also once mentioned that she behaves typically of somebody who will have behavioural problems later. I love her to bits, but she can drive me nuts and makes it very difficult for us to give the eldest the attention he also need. Can somebody help me with advise.

Expert's Reply



It is difficult to know if your 2 year old is just going through the so-called 'terrible twos' or she is truly over-active. She does seem to be extremely active and seeing you are concerned about her mother possibly using drugs it would be best if she was seen by a paediatrician with an interest in developmental paediatrics.
I am concerned about your 5 year old not talking yet. Please have him seen by a speech therapist.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.