Posted by: Nuffing | 2004/03/02


Tight Foreskin


My four year old boy has a very long foreskin which virtually closes over the front of his pensis. I have tried to gently pull it back - he does too - but it can't open over the head of his penis at all. He managed to urinate without a problem, although he does get some ballooning of the penis if it is a strong stream.

I would prefer no to circumsise and am not concern yet - as we still have plenty of time to work on this 'problem'. I have heard that a certain steroid cream can be applied to help to soften the skin to make it pull back easier, and the child can then be encouraged to pull the skin back when urinating and bathing etc.

Do you know what cream would be appropriate?
A paed did check his foreskin when he was about 1 year old and managed to squeeze the head through a bit. At the time he advised me that it was tight, and that I shouldn't try to force it back, but it may still resolve itself.

Any advice?

Expert's Reply



The only real concern would be if he develops a urinary tract infection or struggles to urinate. On the whole it is best to leave it alone as manipuation often cause small tears which heal with scar tissue and makes the problem worse. The steroid cream is an option, but it would be best to discuss this with an urologist who has a special interest in children.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: anon | 2004/03/29

i also need to say i am 13 and afraid to tell anyone,as to hear what they think, who would i need to visit a normal docter you go to if youve got a cold ar somone diffrent

Reply to anon
Posted by: anon | 2004/03/29

i have a very tight forskin it cannot be pulled back at all (the hole is only about 4mm wide) and when i urinate it ballons.does this mean i will have to have a circumcision or is there another way for me.please help

Reply to anon
Posted by: Rather not | 2004/03/05

I was also concerned about my son's foreskin and when I mentioned my concern to my husband he said that he was unable to pull back his own foreskin until the age of 14. I think you should just leave it alone and not try to force it back. It will come right by itself as he grows up.

Reply to Rather not

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.