Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Racoon | 2010/05/07


Testing for congenital hypercholesterolemia and Von Willebrands

Dear Paed

Unfortunately, on my side of the family we have both congenital hypercholesterolemia (my sibs have it but I dont - their baseline is around 10.0 without statins) and Von Willebrands (I have Type 2A). At what age do we need to test our kids?


Expert's Reply



This is a difficult question to answer because there appears to be no specific age at which these tests should be done.It is important to know about both conditions so I would think that at 2 to 3 years it would be worthwhile. It would be best to consult a paediatric haematologist about the tests for Von Willebrand's disease. When the blood tests are done for this condition blood should also be sent to the laboratory for lipograms and cholesterol.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.