Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Frustrated mommy | 2008/11/28


Sorry, another allergy question.....

Dr, please can you advise me on where to start....My son (5yr) has been diagnosed with plenty of mild food allergies(low RAST counts), although he tested negative on SPT for top 8. His EA is high, came down from 270 to 97. Also mild allergy to dogs (we have 3 dogs)The last 2 and half weeks he has a terrible runny nose, itchy, red eyes and wet (asthma kind) cough....He is itching terribly...Had a mild rash on his back for 3 days, but now itches on his head(very bad), back(scrathed until he was bleeding) and this morning the itching started on his arms and legs.....He has not been eating any new food. This morning when he woke up he had a red swelling under and above his lips (no swelling of his lips), and red patch above his eyebrow. The other new factores is: Staysoft in his clothing and bedding, Duphulac and plenty of swimming in chlorine pools.....Where do I start?! What can be the main causes of itching? And the red swelling this morning? Do I start taking away the food or do I look at EA? Thanx...Sorry for long post......PS: He has been to 3 allergists before.....He is on all the chronic allery meds.

Expert's Reply



You say here that you have taken your son to see 3 allergists, yet you do not know your son's diagnosis. This is why I constantly tell parents not to leave the doctor's rooms until you have a clear diagnosis. Your son obviously has hayfever, eye allergies, asthma and bad eczema.In fact a full house of allergies. Foods do not cause symptoms like this.He must be allergic to grass or tree pollens as well as to dogs.I hope that you are taking the fact that he is allergic to the dogs very seriously as he is suffering very badly. Your son needs a very careful going over by a good paediatric allergist. There are very effective treatments available for him.Please let me know in which city you live and I will recommend an expert to see him.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.