Posted by: Nic | 2012/09/25


So worried.

Hi - my 11 yr old daughter said she moved a certain way to pick up her school bag and felt a pulled muscle or spasm sensation in the 2 musles that run on either side of her spine (I looked them up and I think they are called erector spinae muscles). What worries me is that she cannot stretch out her back or lean and try to touch her toes without feeling pain. I think this is the 2nd time this has happened to her. It has been 3 days now and only slight improvement. What concerns me now is that after massaging her and looking closer etc. her right hip does not look balanced according to the left hip and I am almost sure her lower spine is slightly curved sideways. My concern is all the things it could be (I''ve been googling back pain - but its not bone pain its muscle pain). She is an extremely healthy, very sports active child with an excellent appetite and no other illnesses. My husband suffers leg cramps and back spasms, but we agreee this should not be happening in an 11 yr old. Where do I go from here ? What type of doctor do I begin with ? I am so worried. Thank you for your time.

Expert's Reply



You have set your question out very well.I am concerned that your daughter may have a curvature of her spine known as 'scoliosis'. This would account for all the symptoms that you describe. She should be seen by an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in spinal conditions. Ask your doctor to recommend the most suitable specialist in your area.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Jen | 2012/09/26

Sorry - a curve in the spine, my one hip is higher than the other so is my one shoulder. She must get checked out

Reply to Jen
Posted by: Jen | 2012/09/26

It could be Scoliosis, a cure in the spine, i have it and she will need to wear a back brace, she need to be checked out by a specialist.

Reply to Jen
Posted by: Purple | 2012/09/26

Probably best to see your GP or paediatrician who can then refer you to the necessary specialist or for phsyiotherapy.

Reply to Purple

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.