Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Zee01 | 2011/01/25


Sleep question

Doc, I am at my wits end!
My 9 month old is sleeping better than my 2 year old?!?!

I posted a while ago about night terrors...
This has now mostly passed, but every night at 12, she is standing next to my bed...
I cannot sleep with her between us as she does not lie still....

So, I take her back to her bed cuddle a bit and tell her to close her eyes and sleep.... And I tell her we are next door, she must sleep, everything is alright, I then go back to my own bed... And as soon as I am comfortable, she starts crying.....

Her routine at night is solid....
She eats enough...
She gets plenty of love and attention...

Hubby lies next to her until she falls asleep, this is when we put her to bed the first time/
I am now tempted to make him read to her or something, and then walk away. I know she will cry, but maybe it will only last a night or two?!

Any advice please?!
As far as I can tell she does not have pain anywhere... She is learning to cover herself if she is cold?!
Was thinking about redoing her bedroom, will that maybe help??

I know this is probably a routine now, what can I do to break it???

I cannot get up for both my kids, that means I am up half the night, and as it is I only get to bed at 10, and must be up again at 4h30?!

It is GREATLY appreciated!

Expert's Reply



You are welcome. Your little 2 year old daughter has a nightly performance now and you are the audience. As you say it has to stop. She must not be allowed into your bed as this will only aggravate the problem.H Dad must read to her at night and then kiss her goodnight and leave the room. If she wakes up and appears next to your bed she must be taken back to her room immediately. Put a nightlight in her room.The only practical method of ending this behaviour is the controlled crying method. It is very hard on the erves and may take more than one night to succeed with it but it will help. Look up information about this method on Google.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.