Posted by: Amom | 2011/05/22


Sleep Issue

Please can you offer me some advice, I am desperate. I have an almost four year old who has and has had from very young a very good bedtime routine. Bath, dinner, story, bed. By about 7:30 each night he is fast asleep and does not fight or argue bedtime. He has always slept through without too many disturbed nights. He has dropped his day nap. I have tried absolutely everything to get him to take a nap during the day but he refuses. My problem is that he wakes up every morning between 4:30 and 5 to go to the toilet and will not go back to bed. He is still tired, I can see he is as he acts overtired and wild and by about 9/10am he is miserable and moody but refuses to take a nap. The only way I can get him to sleep is to take him for a drive and he then collapses and can sleep for about 2 hours. I feel if I could just get him to sleep in an extra hour/hour and a half he will be fine but how? All I have read up on sleep training relates to bedtime and sleeping through the night. How on earth do I get a child to go back to sleep in the morning after a trip to the loo? He has always been an early riser so this has been going on for years now but in the past he always had naps during the day and now he refuses. Is there anything I can do to sort this out?

Expert's Reply



At this age it is going to be very difficult if not impossible to get your 4 year son to sleep during the day. His sleeping pattern is commonly seen in intelligent children especially boys. He has always been an early riser so this is not going to be easy to change either. If he can keep himself amused when he wakes up early let him do so. He may want to build his Lego or look at books when he wakes. The main thing is not to let it disturb your sleep too much. So it would probably be best to ignore him whe he wakes and let him get on with keeping himself amused.No sedatives are recommended or will help to improve his sleep pattern.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.