Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Pip | 2010/04/15


Sick again...

My nearly 5 month old daughter just came home from hospital last week Monday - she was hospitalised for two weeks for bronchiopneumonia....

She gets nasonex twice a day and has been fine. But now the last two days I can hear that she is snotty again, and is generally grumpy...

She has had at least 4 chest infections since birth.

I am taking her to the physio this afternoon to suction her a little because the snotty nose usually ends up in the chest.... I cannot afford for her to end up in hospital again (both emotionally for my todder as well as financially)...

This past hospital visit they were treating her with at least 3 different types of antibiotics due to the fact that the paed couldn''t establish the cause of the pneumonia. She ran numerous tests and eventually found a serense (something or other) bacteria in her nose, which has probably been their since being in ICU when born prematurely.

I''m at my wits end.... I give her reuteri drops and vidalin everyday.

General health: She suffers from reflux, and also has scoliosis.

Please advise on what I can do for my poor child.... I don''t think it''s good to be on antibiotics again...

Thank you

Expert's Reply



Scoliosis can be genetic but is not usually diagnosed in children under 10 years of age. When it occurs in infants it is important to exclude neuromuscular illnesses or muscular dystrophy. Your baby's history of 4 severe chest infections must be taken seriously and a cause searched for. These neuromuscular conditions must be excluded as well as other illnesses such as cystic fibrosis. You must take her back to your paediatrician who needs to make sure that your daughter does not have an underlying reason for her illness or she needs to be seen by a paediatric pulmonologist in order to make the correct diagnosis.I am sorry to add to your heavy medical expenses but this is essential for your baby's health.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.