Childhood Diseases

Posted by: SIndy | 2011/10/19


Shellfish allergy

Hi Doc,

I recently gave my 1.5 year old son a few bites of calamari. 2 days later he came out with a rash that started on his back, then made its way to the torso.

I took him to the pharmacist, and they said it was defintitely caused by the ingestion of the calamari. He had a delayed hypersensitivity to it. A few doses of Allergex, and the rash cleared up.

My question is: Doe this mean he has a shellfish allergy? Could I ever try giving him any seafood again or should this be now completely avoided?

**On a side note: He eats all linefish with no reaction. I''ve been giving him fish since 12months already.

Expert's Reply



Yes, your son seems to be allergic to shellfish. This is a serious allergy and if he has shellfish again he may have a very severe allergic reaction. It is vitally important that he does not eat shellfish again. He can eat ordinary fish but it must not be in contact with shellfish while being prepared. He should be tested for shellfish allergy by his paediatrician. He will need to have an antihistamine syrup with him at all times. Zyrtec or Allecet syrup is best and he will need a dose of 2.5ml immediately if he has another allergic reaction in future.It would be best to take him to be seen by a paediatric allergist.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.