Childhood Diseases

Posted by: KC | 2009/05/27



Hi Dr
I have a little boy of 18 months who seems to be battling with reflux. He was diagnosed with reflux and treated from 4 months and was on medication until about 8 months. He seemed to outgrow it and has been doing really well. He still vomits for no reason but it is very seldom and he literally will vomit once and thats it, no complaining etc. He is now cutting his eye teeth and I am not too sure if there is any connection between teething and reflux but he is vomitting more frequently. This always seems to occur after his first morning bottle and it only happens once a day. The vomitting does not seem to bother him at all but he is having trouble at night. He will wake up crying (voice a little hoarse) and trying to vomit (gagging and choaking) but not actually vomitting and I can see he is in pain and trying to clear his throat etc. This has not happened in months and now all of a sudden he is having problems.
I have got him some Motillium which I am going to give him after his last milk feed and hope this keeps the acid down. I do have him propped up on a pillow while sleeping.
Can you please tell me the dosage I need to give him. He is 11.5Kgs and the dosage says 0.25 to 0.5 mg/kg? Would mg be the same as ml (sorry if I sound silly).
Another thing, are there any long term effects associated with reflux? Could having acid reflux damage his oesophegus or tummy at all?
Once again, thank you so much for your input on this forum. I am really grateful for all the information you supply us with!

Expert's Reply



Thank you. Your son does indeed still have reflux. Yes,acid reflux can cause problems to the respiratory system due to the inhalation of micro-droplets of food and stomach acid. I do not want you to treat your son yourself. He should be carefully examined and tested by a paediatrician including having a pH probe test done. You need to establish just how severe your son's reflux is. He will need to go onto Losec in addition to the Motilium. These medicines may not be sufficient to solve his problem. Please let me know how your son gets on once he has seen the paediatrician.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.