Posted by: lisca | 2011/05/29



Hi doc......My son has been having emotional outbursts for a year or more...he is turning 8 in Aug. Lately he also have been struggling with friends.....feel they bully him...struggling to concentrate in class, doesn''t want to go to school, ect. I took him for assessment at the playtherapist and she adviced us to go to a child psychologist....she''s worried about possible depression or temper dysregulation! I don''t want to lable my child or give unnessesary meds! But he is so misrable....When do a parent deside to worry about your childs emotions to such an extend to get further help? Isn''t this just normal child moods? Thanx

Expert's Reply



You have given an excellent description of your son's emotional problems. Every one of his symptoms should set alarm bells ringing as your son does appear to be significantly depressed. It is essential that he is seen by a child psychologist or paediatric psychiatrist as soon as you can arrange this.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.