Childhood Diseases

Posted by: aeysha | 2008/08/28


pre school problems

My six year old daughter is in pre school and spends play time with sx other girls who are either family or aquaintances of the family. Two of the moms have complained that my daughter upsets their girls by either saying she will not be their friend or refusing to play with them. on friday my daughter took some bead bracelets from one of the girls and her mom phoned again.she said that my daughter takes her daughters jewellery and does not give it back and that she is in tears everyday because my daughter says she is not her friend.i have returned the items and spoken to my daughter. now these moms have told their kids not to play with my daughter and are even angry with me.
i am embarresed by my daughters actions and i don' t know what to do anymore. people are always complaining that she is moody and bossy and steals their kids toys. i do love my daughter but how do i solve this problem?i feel like i am the reason she is this way that i failed to teach her properly.she is a very difficult child but what am i to do?these moms are all talking about her as if she is a villian and not a six year old.

Expert's Reply



A very similar question came up for the Paediatrician very recently. Children of this age are often not mature enough to realise the importance of ownership of toys, jewllary etc. Some children do know better but 'steal' to try to gain popularity by giving the stolen items to other children. You need to speak very firmly to your daughter about the importance of not taking items belonging to other children. Teach her that it is wrong. she should return all 'stolen items to whichever child/ friend she took them from. Don't shout or get angry with her, just be very firm and speak in a firm voice. No pleading with her to stop. Also if she does anything like this again she must be punished by staying in her room and not being allowed to play. You can set the time she needs to stay there.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: BMJ | 2008/08/28

Aeysha - please also post your q on the parenting corner as you will get losts of helpful advise from other parents

Reply to BMJ

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.