Posted by: mira | 2005/12/06



My daughter is being bitten by mossies a lot, she asked my husband to scratch her right leg, he had been eating peanuts and raisins with the hand he used to scratch her mossie bite, within minutes she developed hives on the very same and only on that leg, no where else on the body. They went from the ankle up to about the calf, i immediately gave her an antihistamine and put some cream on the hives which really helped to control them, the next day she was fine. WE monitored her.

Is this a nut allergy or are we being paranoid? if it is what would happen if she ate them because we have never given her nuts to eat because we suspected she might be allergic and were only intending giving her at age 3, she is 28 months old can we do an allergy test now? Both parents have various allergies but no family history of the NUT allergy!

She did play on the grass quite a bit earlier that day, but this happened way after her bath and epizone A rub down for her otherwise under control eczema. She does not display much allergic symptoms other than the slight eczema, she is very very healthy and has only had antibiotics once this year for middle ear infection which is now sorted out with grommets, she also stays home with a nanny. Could it be the grass, if so surely not just on the one leg? we saw the hives appearing one by one and in clusters in front of our eyes and they were bad.

pls advise.

Expert's Reply



This does sound like a nut allergy and this is exactly the kind of reaction that can occur in young children. Your daughter can be tested for nut allergy-peanut and tree nut allergy. The tests are known as RAST. Ask your paediatrician to carry out these tests on your little daughter.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: www | 2005/12/06

Hello mira,

I'm not sure at what age they can do allergy testing, but I'm quite sure that your daughter is old enought to have her tested.

I also don't know whether an allergy for nuts would actually have an external effect such as hives, the pead will be able to answer that question.

One thing is for certain though - allergy for nuts is extremely dangerous and if your daughter is allergic, then you'll have to be very very careful with what she eats. In countries like canada and the UK, companies are forced to put warning-labels on any foods that are produced or processed in close vacinity of where nuts are processed as merely a few particles can be fatal to someone who is severely allergic. I would vote for getting her tested asap.

good luck!

Reply to www

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.