Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Casy | 2009/03/30


Lung infections....

Dr, my boy has been admitted to hospital for a week for lung infection when he was 9 months old....3 Weeks ago he was admitted for lung infection again for a week...he is 16 months old now. During admission they did all the needed blood tests and everything looked fine....His RAST was negative but with the tendency to develope allergies later....He was discharged and prescribed Zyrtec and Singulair( because dr suspected asthma). They even tested for Systic fibrosis(?), that was negative. 2 Weeks ago his lungs were clean on follow up. Last week he started with runny nose (green and yellow) and bad coughing AGAIN! I phoned the pead who said I can give Prelone for 3 days (3.5ml), Iliadin for 5 days and start nebulizing him with Combivent and Pulmicort, what I did...The coughing at night is much better, but this afternoon he coughed a bit more...I feel ' rumbling'  when putting my hands on his ribs....I' m so scaered to take him to dr again, just to hear that we need to go to hospital AGAIN!!! Dr, how can this terrible cycle be broken...How do I stop my son from getting lung infection!? I can' t believe that he might need to go on antibiotics, drips, ect, AGAIN....He is not at a creche and I try to protect him as far as I can....He is even on lactose free formula...Oh, and how long and how often is safe to give Pulmicort and Combivent? Please, any advise...Thanx

Expert's Reply



Your son does not appear to have asthma. He is getting recurrent chest infections. This is common in some pre-school children especially up to the age of about 3 years. It is important that he is not exposed to cigarette smoke. His paediatrician needs to check his antibody levels to be sure that he has normal immunoglobulin levels. He should be kept on probiotics such as Probiflora through the winter months and put on an immune booster such as Viral Choice junior. He should not be on the Pulmicort or Combvent for longer than 1 week.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.