Posted by: KC | 2012/09/03


Irritated Eye

Hi Dr,
Please may I have your opinion on my little son''s eye. He is 21 months old and for the last three weeks, he has been rubbing his eye. (One eye only). The upper and lower eyelid is red and swollen. I spoke to a pharmacist who said it is not infected and looks like an allergic reaction. I have been giving him allergex and it does bring the swelling down slightly and he seems to stop rubbing but it is three weeks now and his eye lids are still red and swelling up as he continues to rub. He has a red/purple ring under his eye but the actual eye ball looks clear and there has been no redness in the white of his eye. His other eye has now also started worrying him. He has had no discharge whatsoever from the eye. I am washing it with warm water and cotton wool. I am giving him allergex when it looks really bad but the fact that we are on week three now is starting to worry me. He has had no snotty nose, cough or any other cold like or allergy like symptoms but he is cutting his eye teeth.
Would it be best for a Doctor to take a look or is there some OTC eye drops I can use?
Thank you in advance for your advise.

Expert's Reply



You have set your question out very well and have supplied important information. It is very unusual for a child to only have one eye affected by an allergy.You do mention that his other eye has started to itch as well now. The most likely cause of your son's eye problem is indeed allergic conjunctivitis. Spring is here and the first grass pollens are already in the air.Allergic conjunctivitis does not usually respond very well to the use of an antihistamine taken by mouth. Also Allergex is not a good choice as it has the side effect of causing drowsiness. Try Allecet syrup instead 5ml at night. The only OTC eye drops that may help is Spersallerg. Try these and see if this helps. If not ask your doctor to see your son.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.