Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Ndangi | 2011/08/30


Hypertropia in my child

Dear doctor,
Please assist. I have a 2.5 baby girl that has one pupil that is larger than the other. I am concerned that she must be struggling with her vision.
Her left eye also moves by itself up the lid. This has been a concern for for a long long time. I went to an opthomologist when she was a year old, but because she was very irritable the doctor could not do much to examine her eye.
The next appointment was set to be in a year''s time.

Is this reasonable? Should I worry about my babies vision? Is there treatment for such a condition? Do you know of any doctors I can go to in the west rand johannesburg?

Expert's Reply



If your daughetr has hypertropia she must be seen and correctly diagnosed. This is important as she may require an operation to correct a weakness of one of her eye muscles that move her eye. She should be examined by a paediatric ophthalmologist. Contact Dr Peter van Lingen at the Donald Gordon Medical Centre 011 482 4816

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Ndangi | 2011/09/05

Thank you very much doctor. I was afraid that you might say that she needs an op, but I think I should take the first step of getting her checked up. If she indeed needs an operation then I think it will be best for her, especially because she''s now growing up and will start being conscience of herself and it might affect her self esteem in future.

Reply to Ndangi

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.