Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Concerned Mother | 2010/12/02



Hello Prof
I am concerned and at my wits end with my three year old. He has bursts of extreme hyperactivity whereby he becomes out of control, refuses instructions, deliberately does naughty things which he knows are not acceptable and becomes destructive with his toys and property. I do think it stems from him becoming bored and also when he is tired but I cannot keep up with stimulating him. I make sure I do puzzles with him, we read books, I make sure he spends time outdoors running around and doing physical activities and so much more. I feel I do enough to keep him busy but I am obviously not doing enough. He attends school and is in a small class with excellent teachers. I am always told at our parent teacher meetings that my child is doing very well, he is ahead of his peers, polite, well mannered, excels in gross and fine motor skills, his vocab is advanced for his age and he is obedient and they have no problem with discipline. When he comes home it is a different story and he is demanding of attention and I battle to keep up with his needs. I need to know how I can calm him down when he gets out of control. If he sits down to eat for example he will start kicking his legs not in a tantrum way just kicking and shaking his arms around, he fidgets and cannot keep still. I don''t know how to describe him other than wild. Please can you give me some tips on coping with hyperactivity.
Thank you.

Expert's Reply



What is most odd about your son's behaviour is that he is very well behaved at school and concentrates well and does not show the slightest sign of any hyperactive behaviour. At home he is the complete opposite. So when it counts and he needs to concentrate and keep quiet and be well behaved he is quite capable of doing so. He does not show the typical behaviour pattern of a child with ADHD.His behaviour pattern has many of the features of a condition called Oppositional Defiance Disorder also known as ODD. It would probably be best to take him to see a Child Psychologist about his behaviour.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.