Childhood Diseases

Posted by: T | 2010/10/20



My baby boy is now 2months and 2 days. About a month back he started with tummy problems, pushing and screaming the way he is pushing to get something out, but his stomach just does not want to work. At first i thought it was winds, but now he is farting like a trooper. His farts really stink too. He is on the boob, still basically on demand. I was told by my GP to give him 1 bottle of formula a day to help his system on and started with S26 Gold and then moved on to Lactogen because it wasnt working. I have now stopped the formula and he is still like this. He came right for a week having at least once at most 2 poos a day. Now he cant again and is straining and pushing and screaming to get something out. He is struggling to feed properly and has broken feeding sessions cause he starts screaming and pushing and then chokes on the milk. I gave him milk of magnesia at about 5:30 and last night gave him a glycerine supository. Please tell me what this could be and how i can help my child. I hate seeing him like this. He is also not sleeping properly as he starts screaming and crying and pushing in his sleep too. He hardly sleeps during the day (bout an hour max) and also does not really sleep much at night - waking 3 or 4 times. PLEASE HELP! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Expert's Reply



What you need here most of all is a clear diagnosis of your baby's problem.He seems to be exceptionally constipated for a young baby who has been mainly breastfed. He is off the formula now but is still very constipated. It is possible that he has a condition called Hirschsprung's Disease. Here there is a problem with the nerve supply of the intestines which leads to problems with the normal movements of the intestines called peristalsis.You should take your baby to see a paediatrician. Ask the paediatrician whether he/she thinks that your baby could have this condition called Hirschsprung's disease.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.