Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Jessica | 2010/03/29



Hi Doc, My now 18 month old daughter started creche at the begining of the year and she has been sick now for about 2 months with countless visits to the gp and my local pead with almost no success at all. Her symptoms are a very snotty runnny nose and a terrible cough which seems to be getting worse. The docs i have been to have both put it down to sinus and have given her tons of meds to do which sinus but there has been very little improvemnt if any!She is still happy and her normal self and has not had a temp! She teething at the moment could this by the slighest chance be caused by teething? Someone also mentioned tb to me so i had a look on the internet for the symptoms and so far she has two. 1) a cough that lasts longer then 2 weeks. 2) night sweats. The night sweats has been happening for awhile now but i just thought that she was just getting to hot when she slept. Do you think that there may be a chance that she could have tb? And i am seeing my doc again on wends because they want to send her for a chest xray. If she does have tb will they pick it up on the xray? Please help with your advice as i am at my witts end not knowing what to do for my daughter and panicked that it might be tb.

Expert's Reply



You have really asked a good question which must bother lots of parents with their children at creches. This could simply be the so called 'creche syndrome' where a young child attending a creche is ill all the time due to repeated infections brought there by the various children at the creche.One thing your toddler does not have is 'sinus' because children do not even have any sinuses at this age.TB should be excluded but the best way to do this is by using a skin test called the Mantoux test or Tine test.If present TB should show up on the chest Xray.If her chest is clear she should be seen by a paediatrician again.She may have a problem with a constant post nasal drip due to infected adenoids.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.