Childhood Diseases

Posted by: tlee | 2009/10/16


Hayfever / Asthma / slight difficulty breathing

Dear Dr

My lb of 7mnths is perfectly healthy except that he is allergic to Cows Milk Protein (causes blood in his stool).

When he teeths he gets a blocked nose that is easily kept under control with Chamiflor (chammomile and saline solution) nasal spray.

Over the past two weeks he has started sneezing much more and often has puffy eyes.

I also suffer from hayfever (which only started when I was 22 yrs old) and have been sneezing a lot lately.

When I have hayfever my chest closes and I need to use an Asthavent pump once in while. When my hayfever gets out of control I go onto a Quartazone pump for about a week as my chest really closes up and I have trouble sleeping.

I am noticing that my lb seems quite wheezy in the evening before bed. He sleeps through till about 3am and then becomes very restless and needs to be settled several times between then and 6am when he normally wakes up. His nose is very blocked at this time and he is snoring and wheezing.

i would like my Paed to examine him but he does not wheeze or have a blocked nose during the day and I don' t want to go as far as asking the paed to come to our house at 8pm at night!

What can I do?

Thank you!

Expert's Reply



It does not matter at what time of the day the paediatrican sees your baby. He does not have to have the symptoms at the time. If you give such a clear description of your baby's symptoms as you have done here then the correct diagnosis will be made. Stop the chamomile nasal drops and only use Salex or other saline nose drops until you have seen your paediatrician.Your baby appears to be showing early signs of asthma besides his nasal allergy and severe milk allergy. He will need to start on regular preventer medicines. Fortunately there are excellent treatments available now.Ideally your baby should be seen by a paediatrician with experince in paediatric allergy.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.