advertisement

Childhood Diseases

Question
Posted by: Lin | 2007/04/02

Q.

Funny rash from spilled grape juice

I gave my 16 month old 100% red grape juice this afternoon out of a cup. The lid wasnt on right and it spilled onto him. (in the car). We got home 5 minutes later and when I changed his top he had a red swolen rash. It was there for +- 5 hours. It didnt look like it wa bothering him or that he was itching. What could this be? I washed it off of him and applied aquas cream to the red patch (it was as big as my huband's hand). He has had grape juice before, but has never spilled any on him before.

Expert's Reply

A.

Paediatrician

This is a clear sign of a food allergy, in this case an allergy to grape juice. He must not be given any grape juice or grapes to eat. The rash is called urticaria. He needs an antihistamine syrup such as Allecet 2.5ml once a day for a few days until the rash disappears.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.