Posted by: Lena | 2012/11/12


disposable panties for young girl struggling with soiling

Hi paed, after an intense course of Pegicol, suppositories and liquid paraffin my 9 yr old is still struggling with encopresis, now her 5th year with this condition. There is no visible abdominal/colon blockage and we have tried the play therapy route. She goes off to a school camp this Dec at her father''s insistence (I am a single mum and he has her for this Dec). He will not listen to reason and I am worried she will feel so self-conscious - I usually wash her panties for her daily but now out there with a group of kids how can I offer her this protection. Are there some disposable panties (kiddy size) I can buy somewhere for her so she just flushes them away end of each day? Or shd I just send her with panty liners? The problem is this is a lot to ask a 9yr old to do, remember to put a panty liner daily. She struggles to remember when we are just at home. Are there no disposable panties out there to get her though this holiday when I am not able to wash for her? Also, after several failed interventions, how can I get this condition treated once and for all? Recommendations? It cost a bomb to see the paediatric gastroenterologist and now that we have tried that route, I just don’ t know what to do. The stress on us both is immense and she is very often reduced to tears. Will she maybe just outgrow it?

Expert's Reply



As you correctly mention, your daughter's problem is known as 'encopresis'. Sending her to a camp at this stage while her encopresis problem is still so severe is not a good idea at all. It will further damage any self- confidence she has left. Encopresis is almost always a psychological problem in at her age. Play therapy is not appropriate treatment for her at this age.You have been through the gastroenterology route with no success at all. This was to be expected as this is a major psychological issue.You have mentioned how stressed she is and there are other obvious issues that need to be dealt with. She needs to be seen and treated by the best child psychologist in your area. Ask your paediatrician to refer you to the most suitable expert ASAP.You will probably need a letter from the psychologist to her father regarding the camp.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.