Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Tania | 2009/11/25


child psycologist

My son is 8 yrs old and in Grade 2. He hates school, it is an absolute mission in the morning to get him motivated for the day. He has had a few very bad experiences this year and it has definately affected him emotionally. He is a very bright boy who has always gotten full marks for all his tests. He handwriting is not too neat, but we have made arrangements with my 13th cheque to pay for OT. We have also put him onto medication for concentration which makes him withdraw terribly, when it wears off he becomes aggressive and complains of severe headaches. He has also developed a twitch (his mouth pulls skew and he blinks " hard" ).

I feel he needs to see a child psycologist for his emotional issues as well as another educational assessment, since the school where he is at the moment wants him to repeat, which I disagree with. My question is where to I take him for an all in one assessment and treatment at a reasonable price in Durban? My medical aid does not cover this treatment and I cannot afford R2500 for the first session and R500 for every session thereafter for a min. of six sessions.

I look forward to your response

Expert's Reply



It does seem that the best way forward would be for your son to be seen by a child psychologist or possibly an educational psychologist, but I do not have the names of experts in your area.Perhaps your paediatrician can advise you in this regard.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.