Childhood Diseases

Posted by: twinmum | 2009/06/09


child psychologist.

can a child psychologist or a play therapist help with identifying the bad behavour / tantrums in a 2and a half year old.
what is the difference between them.?
my kids are well behaved but my daughter goes through spells of utter frustration. like she is not getting enough attention. and even when you do give her a lot of it - it doesnt seem to make a difference. could she just be unhappy at certain times? or do toddlers act this way some times. this is frustrating because if have other children to take care of aswell.

Expert's Reply



Many children go through this stage of having tantrums when they want to draw attention to themselves or become frustrated. First try to manage this problem by yourself. Be firm with her and speak clearly and firmly when she starts showing the first signs of developing a tantrum. Tell her to 'Stop!' and show that you mean it. Do not plead with her. If she continues and goes into a full blown tantrum immediately put her in her room and close the door. Leave her there until she is quiet again. Do this every time she has a tantrum or simply walk out of the room where she is having the tantrum. There is nothing like losing your audience when you are performing. She should soon settle down and stop this behaviour.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.