Posted by: AGM | 2008/01/22


Chest pain

My son of 9 years has a pain in his right chest. The pain comes after a long time like once or twice a month or sometimes after two to three months for about 3 minutes and goes of. I took him to a Paediatrician last year; they did an X-ray it showed nothing because the pain was not there anymore. Yesterday he had it but it lasted for 10 minutes.

Can you please suggest the specialist that I can take my son too for more tests?

Thank you in advance

Expert's Reply



This sounds like a harmless condition called the Da Costa Syndrome where young boys in particular develop chest pain intermittently. It is often associated with stress. The pain is not caused by any heart problem and eventually disappears completely. If you are still concerned a visit to a paediatrician will be the best for an expert opinion.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: RealDude | 2008/09/03

I' m a 23 year old guy, who' s lean. When ever I sit and bend my back forward I feel an acute pain below the heart. What could be the problem?

The pain disappears some few menutes after standing up.

Reply to RealDude
Posted by: AGM | 2008/01/22

Thank you so much. I am so relieved to hear that I don't have to worry. I will monitor the pain record it before I can take him to a Peaditrician

Thanks again

Reply to AGM

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.