Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Eve | 2009/04/15


Bronchitis in 3 year old

Hi Doc
I am hoping you can shed some light on the situation i have with my three year old. Last year (around september) i visited a good paediatrician where we did xrays and food allergy tests, she found that my son has a seasonal allergy so we put him on the asthma pump and dessolex, he was doing fine until Feb where i hadto take him to Linksfield casualty as he was coughing and had a fever. Once again they did xrays and nebulised him, they found he had a bit of mucous on his lungs and they told me to take him to physio which would help with the mucous. They sent us home with antibiotics and medicine to put in the nebuliser, he coughed for the next three days and brought up alot of phlegm. Three to four weeks later BAM we have another attack, off we go to our GP who tells us he has bronchitis.Looks into his records and sees that its a seasonal bronchitis every change of Summer to winter and winter to summer he has these attacks. I am now worried cause it has been a week that he has been on antibiotics and the nebuliser his cough has subsided a bit, he doesnt have a fever but his breathing is rapid when he' s sleeping and he sounds like he cant breath when he talks to us, i also read on health 24 that sometimes this can lead to respiratory failure and maybe even death. I am completely freaked out, is there anything i can do to avoid this from happening in the future or will he just grow out of it? Will his lungs get damaged by this?
I am a bit confused cause i have three different opinions, which one should i listen to, the paed, the casualty doc or the GP?
I would appreciate any info or help you can give me. Thank-You

Expert's Reply



I can see that you are very worried about your son. I am sure that his health will improve once we know what his problem is.Despite you seeing 3 doctors the main issue here is that you do not actually have a diagnosis of your son's problem.Children of his age do not usually get bronchitis especially repeated episodes of bronchitis. One possibility seeing that you know that he is allergic is that he has asthma. I strongly advise you to see a paediatric pulmonologist so that your son can be properly diagnosed and managed. There are experts in all the main centres. If you have any problems finding one of these experts let me know in which city you live and I will recommend someone.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: eve | 2009/04/16

Hi Doc Please could you tell me where i can find the paed pulminologist, i am in edenvale so if you have anyone in the bedford or linksfield clinic or actually anywhere i am willing to travel to sort out this problem. Thank-You so much

Reply to eve

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.