Posted by: Amina | 2009/09/07


Bowel incontinence-Please help

My twelve year old son appears to be suffering from bowel incontinence. His condition seems to be worstening. He says that he cannot feel when he has a bowel movement. He used to suffer from exteme constipation at least once or twice a year when he was growing up. I would like to know whether this could be the cause of the incontinence. I originally did not query this problem as I assumed that he was just being naughty. After resurching it today, I discovered that he actually has a condition. I would also like to know how this problem should be approched so as to be the least embarrassing to my son. Should he go to the hospital first or to a psycologist? Please help.

Expert's Reply



This problem is known as encopresis. It is almost always a psychological problem and your son must be seen by a clinical psychologist. He is 12 years old and this is a real problem at his age.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.