Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Mom | 2009/12/01



Please can you help me understand my two year old. Over all he is a perfect child, healthy and clever. I am often told he is more advanced than other two years olds and I also get told what a well behaved child he is however, he is forever testing me and I don' t know what I am doing wrong. If we need to do anything that does not suit him he ignores me completely, I can get absolutely no reaction out of him. I beg, I plead, I reason and explain but I have never met the likes of such a stubborn child. He is strong and if he does not want to get changed there is no way for me to hold him down. I have to pick him up kicking and screaming every time we need to go out or if he needs be put in the bath. He just does not want to do anything I want him to do. He becomes almost wild and out of control. Meal times are a nightmare and he throws his food. If I take the plate away he is happy because he hates eating and can live on fresh air so I don' t know what to do. I can' t let him starve?
Going to bed is luckily not a problem and he falls asleep happily and does not wake until the morning. Nothing else seems to run as smooth though and yet everyone else thinks he is a brilliant angel. Where am I going wrong?

Expert's Reply



This sort of behaviour is known as oppositional behaviour and can be normal part of development in 2 to 3 year old children [and adolescents].In my experience the children who are most likely to show this oppositional behaviour are often bright children and closely fit the description you have given of your son.The problem is that his behaviour has become totally unacceptable and is placing a very heavy load on you.He is showing more of the symptoms of a condition called 'ODD' or 'Oppositional Defiance Disorder'. As he is rather young for this and it may be difficult to deal with,it would still be worthwhile seeing a child psychologist at this stage for advice and assessment.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.