Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Eve | 2010/11/07



Hi Doc
We have a problem training our 5 year old boy to not wee in our bed at night. He sleeps with us as his room is downstairs and is a bit worried being left alone (even though Gran and grandpa are in the room next door), so we let him sleep with us as either one of us doesnt mind and we have our 12 month old sleeping in our room in his cot anyway,so we also dont want to make him feel left out either, but the problem now is we have taken the ''night'' nappies off him as he is a big boy and there are nights where he doesnt wet our bed at all, and then there are nights where we wake up soaked and smelling of his wee, even though we still wake him up (during the night) to go to the loo and he goes to the loo before he goes to sleep.Then the other thing is he will be sitting watching T.v or playing and he will wet himself a bit. The one day he was busy getting dressed and he looked at me in surprise cause a bit of wee came out and he said he didnt feel it, but how do i know if he is telling me the truth? I have taken away stars from his star chart, i have taken his playstation away and none of this has helped. he did have an operation in January this year for a hernia, but i understand it has nothing to do with this problem that he has. Please can you help me as i dont know what else to do.

Expert's Reply



Bedwetting is called 'enuresis'.His bedwetting problem needs to be dealt with soon. You have tried the star chart method with no success. This is not something that he is doing deliberately so taking his toys away will not help either.Your son should not be sleeping in your bed and this must be sorted out as soon as possible.He is trying to be like his baby brother,whose time to have his own room is certainly also approaching.There are several very effective tretaments that can be used which will help your son to stop bed wetting such as a natural hormone called Desmopressin. Please take your son to see your paediatrician.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.