Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Lee | 2012/02/08


Baby ingested paint

Hi Doc,

My one year old ingested paint at creche yesterday. I only noticed this when I changed his soiled diaper! He was very restless &  iirritable after passing the stool and was burping quite a bit.

Again today he still had quite a large amount of paint in his stool. The creche has confirmed that it is a water based paint.

Should I take him to the Dr? Will the paint have any effect on his organs? How can we flush out the paint from his system. Please help. Thank you.

Expert's Reply



Certain paints can be toxic specially oil based paints which may contain lead.The water based paints are usually safe and I am almost certain that this is the safe paint that your child swallowed. It is important to get hold of the paint container and read about safety. If you are concerned in any way it would be best to take your son to a paediatric after hours clinic.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.