Posted by: Paisley's Mommy | 2007/12/11


Baby dislikes formula

My 7 mnth old baby was breasted upto 5.5 months, I put her on to S26 and she will drink, but not much. She only has 100ml every 4 hours. I am worried that she is not getting enough liquid. I try to give her 1 part clear juice 3 part boiled water, although she likes this she only drinks 20 - 30 ml's. Her nappies are smelling rather strong of pee. and she seems constipated at times. I am frustrated as I know that she need's more.

She loves her solid foods. (Butternut, potato, apples, pears, pawpaw, sweetpotato, biscuits ) She will finish 120ml of solids and still want more.

If I check her weight gain according to her percentile card, she is exactly where she should be. She has certainly not flatlined...

Please help, Should I change her formula? I did try put her on to goats milk as I had my eldest daughter on it, but it seemed as though she was allergic to it, as her tummy was cramping and very runny and smelly.
Assuming I do not give her formula (last resort) what could I give her to ensure she takes in enough liquid? and is this advisable to stop giving formula?

Expert's Reply



There are many issues here and one thing seems to be leading to another.It is important to remember that your baby's main source of nutrition at her age is milk, not solids or fruit juices.400ml of milk per day is not enough and with the small amounts of extra fluid she is taking she is not getting enough fluid. Goats milk is not ideal as you have found.The good news is that she has continued to gain weight normally.
Your baby needs 120ml to 150ml of fluid for every kilo she weighs per day.You need to find a formula she likes. Try Lactogen2 which she may prefer to some of the newer formulas.If she refuses Lactogen try the new formula Novalac SD.Offer her the formula before the solids.She can certainly have water,dilute fruit juice and some rooibos tea as extra fluid every day in addition to her formula.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.