Childhood Diseases

Posted by: topaz_sa | 2011/03/02


Asthma or not?

Hi, thank you for your reply. We are using the purple glaxohaler with face mask, with Seritide 25/50 - one puff twice a day. My doctor never showed us how to use it but, but I think I am following the instructions properly - I put the mask over her face, press the button, and hold it there for about 15 seconds, I even get her to inhale deeply through her mouth 4 or 5 times during the 15 seconds.

My doctor did mention the singulair tablet, but I have tried those chewable vitamines, and she does not like them, she just spits them out, that''s why my GP has stuck with the sprinkles. I also don''t know if her weight has anything to do with the dose she is on, she is quite small for her age, about 12kg now.

The problem is, each time we think she is getting better and starting to respond to the meds, she picks up another chest infection. I think she is busy getting sick now, because as of this morning she has started with a runny nose, and the coughing is worse. The mucus is clear and there is no fever.

I have made an appointment to see a paediatric pulmonologist, but it is only next week Wednesday.

Sorry for the long story, I just want to get her sorted out now, and i appreciate all the advice I can get.

Thank you.

Expert's Reply



The purple spacer you mention is an ineffective device for young children as they cannot inhale any of the medicine. So effectively your little girl has never been able to inhale any of the Seretide Inhaler to date and it has all been wasted. No wonder she is not improving.She must get an Aerochamber yellow spacer with a facemask and the doctor must sshow your little girl and you how to use the spacer.I would also prefer her to be on the Singulair chewable tablets by now. They have a cherry taste and most children really like the taste and have no trouble taking them. The Singulair must be given at night to be effective, never during the day.Remeber to keep her nose clear.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.