Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Tania Heyns | 2012/03/19


allergy: CAPRAST for bee venom results

Hi Dr
You recommended that I have my three-year-old son tested for bee allergy (plse see below). The CAPRAST result is 28.4, which my GP says is high. What should our course of action be?

My three-year-old son has been stung by a bee twice in as many weeks, and it seems that he has an allergic reaction. He was also stung once before, two years ago, but then he had a ‘  normal’  reaction. He was stung on his palm on Saturday evening, and I gave him Texa that night and Sunday morning but by noon he was badly swollen all the way up to his elbow. He improved remarkably after his second dose of cortisone in hospital (they kept him overnight the Sunday because they were worried about the swelling not going down). The doctor said we should investigate Epipen and possibly desensitisation.
Could you please explain the options and recommend a way forward? Do you think Epipen is necessary, or should something like Phenergan/Celestamine be sufficient? I am very afraid of what could happen should there be a next time.


Expert's Reply



Your 3 year old son is indeed highly allergic to bee stings. As you have noted he has been stung three times already and he is only 3 years old. The sting reactions appear to be getting more severe.He is very likely to be stung again so it is essential that you have an emergency plan in place. He will need to get an Epipen Junior and will need to have Zyrtec syrup close at hand at all times. He is a candidate for bee venom desensisation.It would be best to take him to be seen by a paediatric allergist. There are experts in all the main centres in SA.He must also wear one of the new Medic Alert discs.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Tania | 2012/03/20

Thank you, Doctor, for your advice. I will take immediate action. Could you perhaps recommend a paed allergist in Paarl/Northern Suburbs/Cape Town? Regards, Tania

Reply to Tania | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: carla | 2015/01/19

please advise if there is a dr/paediatrician in the northern suburbs that can assist with allergies - desensitizing - please mail advise me urgently -

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.