Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Edie | 2012/03/06



Hi Prof

My 3yr old had an allergic reaction yesterday. We were at the shop and he opened on of those toys that have these tiny sweets in. Most of it landed on the floor, but then he ate the rest. About an hour later his face was blood red and swollen. I gave him 5ml of Deselex and 2.5 ml of Aspelone. Once I gave him the Deselex he immediately started feeling better. His face just remained red until bed time. Over the weekend we were at a smurf party and everything was blue. I was just wondering whether there could have been a build up of artificial colouring or flavouring and when he ate these sweets yesterday (it wasn''t blue) it created a reaction or can this now be a long term allergy hassle or could there be something else in these specific sweets that caused it? It has never happened before and normally I don''t allow so many sweets at a party or over a weekend.

Also when I spoke to my mother she freaked out and said I should immediately take him to the GP or ER, but I thought that after giving him the meds (after speaking to GP and pharmacist) he should be fine, obv keeping a close eye on him or should I rather always take him?

Thank so much

Expert's Reply



Your son has definitely had an allergic reaction. This reaction is known by the medical term 'Angioedema'. It is very important to find out the cause of this reaction. So try get hold of a similar toy with the sweets inside and read the ingredients. It is possible that it was a type of nut such as hazelnut that caused his reaction and not a colourant.The next reaction could be much worse and more dangerous so make sure that he keeps away from all sweets and also nuts until he has been tested. Your son needs to be seen by a paediatric allergist. There are specialists in all the main centres in SA.In the meantime always have an antihistamine called Alllecet available with you and give him an immediate 5ml dose if he ever has anothr reaction.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.