Posted by: KC | 2010/05/05



Hi Dr
I have a 2 and a half year old son. He recently had his tonsils and adenoids removed due to continuous infections and he was constantly on antibiotics. The ENT noted that his nasal passages were red and inflamed and he was tested for allergies which came back positive for dust mites and mold etc. I presume he is sensitive to airborne allergens such as dust and pollens etc. Both my husband and had the same sort of allergies growing up. My son also has extremely sensitive skin and often gets rashes - I noticed that if marmite gets onto his skin he comes out in a bright red rash around the mouth which lasts a few hours or so. He also often has dark circles under the eyes. The ENT has prescribed Avamys nasal spray which he has to use each morning. He has been on the nasal spray for a month now and has developed a runny nose, itchy eyes and nose twice this month already and the ENT prescribed celestimine. I feel the nasal spray is not enough and he needs something more effective? Another concern is that the nose will start off clear but by the next morning his mucous is green/yellow and that tells me the runny nose is a possible infection and not an allergy?
I know that his case is not serious or chronic and I do not know if I should go back to the ENT or see his paed about this? Or is it just ''one of things'' we need to learn to live as it is common to have these allergies.
Your advise or opinion would be greatly appreciated!
Once again, thank you for all the time you take to answer our posts!

Expert's Reply



You are welcome.I agree with you. It does appear that your son has developed a cold now, but previously he was showing typical allergic sympoms. You should continue with the Avamys which is a good treatment for his nasal allergy plus use a sea water spray such as Sterimar twice a day to clear his nose. Also give him an antihistamine syrup such as Allecet 5ml at night as additional allergy teatment.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.