Posted by: Bobo | 2006/04/19



My 8 year old son has just been diagnosed with ADHD and the Doctor has prescribed ritalin for him. I would like to know if there are alternative medicines or remedies that can be used instead of Ritalin. I also want to know what diet can i put him on to help him?

Expert's Reply



There is another alternative now available but Ritalin is probably the most effective. Discuss this with your doctor-it is your right to do so. Keep him off any drinks containing caffeine eg Cokes, Coffee, also no chocolate.Avoid sweets and any foods containing red , orange and yellow dyes.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Star | 2006/04/20

Change the diet first and get him a omega 3 suppliment. Please tri this first before putting him on ritalin. 8 is very young and have more tests done first. A normal doc cannot prescibe that. Most of the time it is a damaging easy way out. You son will change, for better and worse. Follow your heart as a mother.

Reply to Star

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.