Posted by: Lynette | 2003/12/18


ABO imcompatibility

I had a baby four years ago born prem at 28 weeks. Subsequently lost 2 babies (13 and 19 weeks pregnant). Have now realised that my blood group is O+ and hubby B+ (+ i think) and could have had ABO incompatibility.

I have just done some reading up on ABO incompatibility. Had very bad jaundice - she had to undergo full transfusion as well.

What are the side effects of children born to ABO imcompatible mothers? Is there serious life threatening after effects and if so, what are they? What tests need to be done to eliminate this problem?

Her speech is very delayed - she has not started speaking properly as yet although has picked up quite a few words and short sentences since being put on a nose spray due to being diagnosed with fluid in the ears. She has never had any major health problems - no ear infections etc. She only suffered with a bout of pneumonia two years ago but that is about it. Please help with as much info as possible or point me in the direction of were to find more information.

Expert's Reply



ABO incompatibility is a common cause of jaundice in children. The fact that your baby had an exchange transfusion implies that the jaundice level was severe. Children may suffer permanent neurological damage either from the severe degree of jaundice or from complications during the exchange transfusion. In an extremely premature baby there are many other reasons for possible neurological damage. It will be best to speak to the paediatrician who looked after your baby to establish the level of jaundice and the proof of ABO incompatablity. For this to have occured your daughter must be blood group B and there would have been signs of red cell breakdown in the first week after delivery.

Your child deserves to develop to her full potential. She requires a careful evaluation by a child neurologist who can assess all the facts and available evidence and assist you with planning for the future.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.